- How do I get to live in New College House next year?
1.Talk with your friends and figure out where you would like to live, and the room types you are interested in. New College House has suites for 2 to 6 people.
2.Fill out the Housing Form online at MyHomeatPenn, which is available from 1/18/18 to 1/22/18 at 5pm. On your form, list New College House as your top choice.
3.Check your email on the morning of 1/23/18 for instructions about participating in the NCH process. The email will include an electronic copy of the NCH Room Selection Preference Form.
4.Fill out the NCH Room Selection Preference Form—one per GROUP—and turn it in at the NCH Office, 105, by 1/24/18 at 5pm. When completing the form, you will be able to list your top three choices for suite type.
5.The House Dean and NCH staff will review Room Selection Preference Forms in Lottery Number order (including Priority Points) and place residents in spaces based on availability and preferences. The group member with the lowest lottery number determines the order in which forms will be reviewed, except for groups with a majority of applicants currently living outside of NCH.
- I don’t live in NCH right now, but I want to live there next year. What should I do?
See the above response. The only difference is that you will not be eligible to apply for priority points.
- Do I have to write an essay to apply to live in NCH?
No. There is no essay requirement in the NCH process.
- I live in NCH right now and want to live here next year with friends who currently live in a different house—is this possible?
See the response to the first question. The only difference is that non-NCH residents will not be able to apply for priority points.
- Can I return to my exact same room in NCH where I am living this year?
If the room is not designated for freshman, is available at the time your group’s Room Selection Preference Form is processed, and your group is able to fill the suite, you may be able to return to the same room.
- If I’m assigned to the same room next year, can I leave all my stuff in there over the summer?
No. New College House is overseen by Residential Services during summer months, and summer storage is not available in the house. All residents need to completely move out of their rooms in May 2017.
- How do you know the order in which people can pick their rooms?
The House Dean will receive a list from Housing of all students who indicated New College House as their top choice for 2018-19. Everyone on that list will be assigned a random lottery number that will determine the order in which they select their room, from lowest to highest. Residents selecting their suite in a group will take the lowest number of all residents in the group. In groups with a current NCH resident and majority non-NCH resident, lowest number of the non-NCH resident determines the group’s place in order. Lottery numbers will be included an email on 1/23/18. Students applying to return to New College House will receive priority.
- Is there a way to improve my lottery number? I heard something about points you can get?
Current NCH residents can apply for Priority Points. These points are awarded based on residents’ contributions to the NCH community. The application will be available from 1/6/18 to 1/18/18 and will be reviewed by the NCH RAGAs, House Coordinator, House Dean and Faculty. The points are subtracted from the lottery number to improve a resident’s place in the selection order. Priority Points are only for current NCH residents who want to return to NCH.
- When will I find out my lottery number?
Check your email on the morning of January 23. You will receive an email with your lottery number.
- If each person in the group has a lottery number, how do we know the order our group gets to pick our room?
The lowest number in the group determines the order by which that group will select their space. In groups that include one or two NCH residents and a majority of non-NCH residents, the lowest number among non-NCH residents determines the order.
- Do we have to go to an event in NCH to pick our room?
No. The process for 2017-18 included two late-might events at which residents selected their room assignments. This year’s process will not include Room Selection Events. Residents merely need to turn in their group’s Room Selection Preference Form. The House Dean and NCH team will do the rest.
- Do we have to pick a specific bedroom within a suite in New College House?
Residents will be assigned to a room within a suite at the time their Room Selection Preference Form is processed. Residents will be able to indicate preferences for room placement within their suite on the Room Selection Preference Form.
- What if there are no rooms available by the time my group’s form is processed?
Your group will be able to list three top options for suite placements. For example, a group of six may list “six-person suite” as their top choice, then “two three-person suites” as a second choice, etc. You will also be able to indicate if you are willing to be placed in a suite with residents not listed on your form as a final option. If there are no spaces available based on your group’s preferences, you will not be placed and will have the opportunity to participate in the Inter-House Process.
- What room types are available? How many of each type?
New College House has Quads, Triples and Six-person units as well as smaller numbers of five-person units and doubles. The inventory of available suites will be posted in January.
- I heard there will still be freshmen living in NCH next year. Where will they be assigned?
100 bed spaces have been designated for next year’s freshmen. The inventory of available rooms will be posted in January.
- Can I apply to NCH as an individual person, not in a group?
Yes, single applicants will go through the same process as a group - first submitting the Housing form online (https://myhomeatpenn.upenn.edu/) then specifying you are applying as an individual when you receive the NCH form.
- New College House is cool, but after we get our room there, we still might want to see if we can get an apartment in the high rises. We can hold onto the NCH room, just to be safe, right?
No. According to the Terms and Conditions(link is external)of your lease with Residential Services, you cannot apply for another process, here or anywhere in the College House system, unless you cancel your assignment and pay the cancellation fee. If you apply for another House in the inter-House process (in February) and do not get the room type that you want, you can try to find a space in New College House at that time, though it’s likely all rooms will be assigned by then. Residential Services will help you find a space; it will be important for you to consider a wide range of options.
- What suites will be available?
We anticipate the following quantities of suites available by type. Please note availability may change.